Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Within Reach

Museum Link: https://app.museumofcryptoart.com/collection/permanent-collection?collection=0xb932a70a57673d89f4acffbe830e8ed7f75fb9e0&token=11751&page=2

Source Link: https://superrare.com/artwork-v2/within-reach-11751

Date Minted: July 9, 2020

Artist Description: How do you feel when exploring the most uncomfortable parts of your being? While it may sometimes be difficult, these experiences are ultimately a prerequisite for our continued growth and development. Life can be a strange experience at times, but we must move through these sentiments instead of attempting to navigate around them. Bringing together both the bizarre and the beautiful, "Within Reach" sets the scene for curiosity and surprise. While creating, I often like to explore where I am internally/externally and how my present state relates to my interactions and experiences shared with others. Even though life has been strange for all of us lately, there is still so much beauty to be found in each moment. This piece ended up being a journey to reconnect with that. Using VR sculpting and modeling, uncomfortable sentiments expressed themselves through the realization of this unique figure and this particular method of creating enabled me to play with the human form in new ways. Later combining this with motion graphics and 3D animation, I brought the character to life and embellished its surroundings with prismatic allure. No matter how weird or uncomfortable this life may feel, beauty and wonder are always within reach

CohentheWriter’s Commentary:

Artist Trippyogi is clearly adept with color and construction. Yogi’s 3D sculptures burst with life and ooze psychedelic hues. Nearly all of the artist’s works are awash in rainbow shades, rapidly changing spectrums of color as hard to focus on as they are spiritually appreciable. Like artist KillerAcid, Trippyogi does not shy away from overt references to hallucinogenic works in their pieces, although Trippyogi seems to prefer 3D visualization over KillerAcid’s cartoonish print-like works. But Trippyogi’s works are intensely unique, just as Acid’s are. No better example of this unique vision and composition exists in their oeuvre than Within Reach, a bizarre and strangely-beautiful 3D sculpture that sees the artist at their most playful, at their most creative, and their most technically impressive. Within Reach is the ultimate embodiment of Trippyogi’s style. And like a proper acid trip, it can be enjoyed in a pulled-back, macro sense, or appreciated for all its many enthralling specificities. 

It’s clear from Trippyogi’s Artist Description that Within Reach portrays, in some way, the artist’s attempt to break through the mental noise of life and emerge into an enlightened or otherwise mature headspace. “How do you feel when exploring the most uncomfortable parts of your being? While it may sometimes be difficult, these experiences are ultimately a prerequisite for our continued growth and development. Life can be a strange experience at times, but we must move through these sentiments instead of attempting to navigate around them. Bringing together both the bizarre and the beautiful, "Within Reach" sets the scene for curiosity and surprise. While creating, I often like to explore where I am internally/externally and how my present state relates to my interactions and experiences shared with others. Even though life has been strange for all of us lately, there is still so much beauty to be found in each moment. This piece ended up being a journey to reconnect with that. Using VR sculpting and modeling, uncomfortable sentiments expressed themselves through the realization of this unique figure and this particular method of creating enabled me to play with the human form in new ways. Later combining this with motion graphics and 3D animation, I brought the character to life and embellished its surroundings with prismatic allure. No matter how weird or uncomfortable this life may feel, beauty and wonder are always within reach.”

It’s ultimately a beautiful message, this insistence that there’s beauty and value in even outwardly malignant circumstances. Within Reach was minted mid-July 2020, and so right in the heart of early pandemic life, the push and pull between mental wellness and existential dread was universally intense. Within Reach seems interested in speaking to observers using these same universal tones. A subtle and esoteric piece of art this is not. And indeed, it does embody the contrast between that which is classically beautiful, with other aspects that are intentionally discomfiting, to the great and desired effect of showing that beauty can exist even in bizarre circumstances.

The piece itself is made up of three floating objects interconnected by manifold lines of color, and philosophically by the natural human inclination towards pattern-formation. All rendered in a slightly-cartoonish 3D style, the piece showcases two identical rain clouds —both pregnant with rainbow raindrops, both with a multicolored human eyes on their front faces— positioned on either side of a disembodied human hand, a hand with sharp silver nails and a clunky silver bracelet, with gelatinous guts protruding from where it might otherwise be connected to a wrist, and with a startlingly grotesque human mouth in its palm. A mouth with pursed, purple lips. A mouth with a long, succubus tongue extended from its center. A mouth filled with constantly-shifting, chromatic hues where there would otherwise be black, empty space. The two rainclouds are tethered together by a parabolic rainbow of thin, rotating bricks. 

I think it’s a fair assertion that the technical composition of this piece is meant to be secondary to the total image presented. The body-dysmorphic pairings of hands and mouths, clouds and eyes, adding markers of personality-driven humanity to things which are otherwise just objects. There’s an automatic discomfort we feel when first seeing such a thing. Eyes with strangely-colored retinas. A too-long tongue. A mouth with the same purple lips you’d see on someone freshly dead of hypothermia. Mutation. Decay. And yet all of this is presented to us in happy, shiny, rainbow-inflected cartoon tones. That’s the central juxtaposition: an almost childlike, infantile, form of beauty interwoven with objectively-demented imagery. Every surface is made to heighten this tension. The hand is not covered by skin, but some metallic and shiny texture. Eyes are elongated to the point that they seem neither human nor particularly animalian, but alien altogether. The pursed mouth is almost positioned pre-vomit. I say all that only to assert that there’s plenty of imagery Trippyogi must have deliberately designed to disturb.

Yet it’s so happy, so shiny, so innocent in its way, like a three-legged dog chasing after a tennis ball. I return again to Trippyogi’s Artist Description. “No matter how weird or uncomfortable this life may feel, beauty and wonder are always within reach.” Within Reach are the key words there, meaning you may still have to work towards that beauty and wonder. It is not freely given but there for the taking, to those who seek to take it. You may still have to position yourself just so. Beauty and wonder may not be obvious, but they’re there. It all comes down to a matter of perspective: where we’re looking, for how long, equipped with which preconceived notions.

You are not allowed to do this. Please login and connect your wallet to your account.