Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ignition#100

Museum Link: https://app.museumofcryptoart.com/collection/the-permanent-collection?collection=0xa7d8d9ef8d8ce8992df33d8b8cf4aebabd5bd270&token=9000100&page=4

Source Link: https://www.artblocks.io/collections/curated/projects/0xa7d8d9ef8d8ce8992df33d8b8cf4aebabd5bd270/9/tokens/9000100

Date Minted:  January 8, 2021

Artist Description: Launched into crypto-space for the first time, I present my genesis project, a limited series of interactive 3D structures, rotating endlessly from their self-gravitational force. Each token minted is the result of a complex set of rules, an algorithm that processes the transaction hash and generates a unique piece of crypto-art. Purely written in JavaScript, using no external libraries or dependencies of any sort, these voyagers will forever be the testimony of hardcoded workmanship, a heritage of the old times. Deep space, do you copy?

CohentheWriter’s Commentary:

I was at a quasi-German restaurant in Kingston, New York with a group of my MOCA colleagues when I encountered ge1doot’s work for the first time. Rene Schmidt, MOCA Chief Technological Officer and unabashed ge1doot super-fan, was showing off some NFTs from his phone, one of which was an edition of the artist’s Utopia release on Artblocks from February 2021. I was impressed. After that, he showed me Ignition, minted a month earlier, and I was just enraptured. Ge1doot creates work unlike anything else I’ve seen in the space, these 3D objects that are as complex as cuckoo clocks, so littered with fine detail, so obviously the product of an unusually unique mind. As much as they are art-pieces, they are toys, intricate like a Rubik’s cube and endlessly mystifying like a 1000-piece puzzle. Editions of Ignition, the artist’s Genesis collection on Artblocks, have all the appearances of something you definitely should not be allowed to play with. It seems like some internal part of a rocket engine. It seems like a delicate mobile, purchased at great expense from an artisan, something that hangs in the living room and which you have been expressly forbidden, young man, from touching. Ah, the beauty of digital art. Play with this to your heart’s content. Spin it around, or zoom in to examine its bobbing and oscillating midsection. Not like you’re going to break it! See what happens when you click, when you turn the entire electric construction on and off. There’s so much to see and do with ge1doot’s artwork, and even after the year-and-a-half since Ignition editions (to a total of 512) were minted, very few artists are able to match the imagination and intricacy of this project here. I was thrilled to discover that MOCA had a true-blue ge1doot piece in our Genesis collection, and I’m even more thrilled (going to need an ice bath) to have the privilege of talking about it today.

I know, I know…I’m kind of a big fan. 

But it’s perfectly explainable! You didn’t see my face the first time I let my depressed clicker linger on Ignition #100, the version of the piece in MOCA’s collection, and realized the reason for the project’s name in the first place! It’s an electrical system of a sort, this piece, and if you click long enough on it, you’ll find the two great white beams of straight light, which bifurcate and explode out of the sides of the piece’s central nucleus, turn off. Poof! And if you once again do the same thing, now that the piece is physically darkened, the colors overcome by shadow, you’ll see two of the modular blocks which compose that nucleus begin to power-up, filling with white light until that light reaches their edges and subsequently shoots outward! The piece once again alight! The bursts of light once again stretching out into infinity! And now we can see the nucleus in much more vivid and exhibitionist color. We can see that this intermingled collection of solid and transparent modular squares —some green, others floating ambient and orange, some yellow and tan and purple— are arranged in a quite complex combination. As someone who knows next to nothing about engineering in general, electrical engineering, or computer engineering, I still find myself thinking of circuits or processors. But what I do have is the mind of a large, excitable child, and I find just as much enjoyment in this fully-interactive piece when I take it by the clicker and send it spinning. It’ll spin on for quite awhile, unobstructed by gravity or wind resistance. Full disclosure, I did just that a moment before writing this, and every time I return to the tab with Ignition#100 on it, it’s spinning just as powerfully as when I first sent it off on its ballistic course. If you’re all the way zoomed-in when you do this, things can appear really abstract. If you’re all the way zoomed-out, it can become quite dizzying, like watching an out-of-control satellite. But realizing, as you do this, that Ignition contains its own entirely sensible internal understanding of gravity, rotation, and physics in general is a real thrill. How rare, to find a truly thrilling art piece. And yet, here we are. 

The rest of the Ignition series share similar characteristics with #100, none overly strange or “rare,” a choice I respect deeply, especially as so many projects minted after this one would greatly exploit the lottery-like aspect of minters hoping they’ll end-up with some rare attribute, a rather dismal characteristic of the PFP-project meta. Every Ignition is rare! They all possess their own charm! They are all special pieces of unparalleled memorabilia.

We simply don’t see this kind of imagination very often. Of course, crypto art is chock-full of incredible texts, and incredible imaginations compressing incredible scenes down into a frame. But to reimagine the entire idea of what crypto art can be, what an NFT can do, what its purpose is and the kind of joy it brings, that takes a special sensibility and an ardent interest in innovation.  I say often that, when returning to an art piece, especially in the world of generative art, I constantly find myself confronted with new stimuli, a new object of interest, a new reason to fall in love with the piece. Ignition places electrodes on that experience and gives it 20000 volts. The piece is so memorable, and your ability to interact with it so unique, that ge1doot’s work remains in your mind, spinning and lit-up bright, for long after you close the tab upon which you view it, or the wallet in which you hold it. Because you’ll open it again, I assure you, and find the whole floating architecture right where you left it. And what are you gonna do, not send it spinning once again? 

Seriously, it never gets old. 

You are not allowed to do this. Please login and connect your wallet to your account.